Friday, August 23, 2013

coffeehouse crisis

What if Joe Foxx is right in You’ve Got Mail?

If a person can
for two-ninety-five get, not just a cup
of coffee, but an
absolutely defining sense of self –

what, exactly, does that
say about me? Am I incapable
of cultivating

committed relationships? Does it mean
I am weak-minded
if I happen to like variety?

If I am defined
by what’s in my cup, I must think this through...

The choices are vast:
tall, grande, venti; non-fat, low-fat, whole!

I need a coffee
that says I am not just any woman,

that says I am fierce in the boardroom, a force in the bedroom,
gentle on the eye.

I need one that says I am low maintenance.
So there go my half-cafs,

along with the soy, sugar-free lattes
and cappuccinos.

Iced drinks are definitely out! I’ll just order mine to go:

double-shot Espresso Macchiato,

bold and confident,
cuts to the chase and has a smooth finish,

– quickie in a cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment